The Board of Trustees at the Irish American Heritage Museum seeks candidates for its open Executive Director position. The Executive Director is responsible for the development, execution, and management of the policies, programs and initiatives of the Museum. The Board is looking for an individual with the skills, experience and passion to preserve, expand, and actively engage in the research and communication of Irish American history and heritage.
Founded in 1986, the mission of the Museum is simple: We share Irish American Heritage. As such, the Museum is unique in America, where almost 36 million individuals claim Irish ancestry. It is committed to the basic tenet that preserving one’s heritage is vital to providing a cultural and historical foundation to future generations of Americans.
The position of the Executive Director (ED) reports directly to the Board of Directors and provides strategic leadership and active support to the staff, Board, and community in the administration and operations of the Museum.
Responsibilities of the position include, but are not limited to:
- Is responsible for the overall operations, administration, and management of the Museum including on-site, our off-site storage facility, and digitally.
- Is responsible for implementation of Museum’s strategic plan, marketing plan, and development plan.
- Advises the Board on all phases of the Museum operations, activities, and services, including but not limited to the formulation, implementation, and evaluation of Museum policies, budgets, programs, and procedures as they affect the Museum’s operations, maintenance, programs, fundraising, and services to the general public and stakeholders.
- Establishes and oversees the care and maintenance of the library, archival, and three-dimensional collection including new acquisitions.
- Hires, oversees, and evaluates all staff members, consultants, and volunteers as needed.
- Develops programming and exhibition plan for the museum including educational events for individuals of all ages.
- Develops and maintains partnerships with educational and cultural institutions to help achieve the Museum’s mission and goals.
- Maintains close liaisons with the federal, state, and local government officials, as well as representatives of the Irish government.This position requires an outstanding leader with exceptional communication skills, excellent fundraising skills, a strong public presence, and enthusiasm for making the case for IAHM to a variety of donors and partners. The position needs a person with the ability to articulate a vision, combined with the drive to achieve results.The director must effectively build relationships across a broad spectrum of personalities. Candidates who have not led an organization, but can demonstrate the above skills and a high potential to grow into this profile, will also be considered.Success in this role requires moving the organization ahead while preserving those cultural qualities from which the organization has derived its success. The ideal candidate is a hands-on leader and motivator committed to fostering a positive and forward thinking environment that will help the Museum continue its journey to be a “must visit” site both physically and digitally.Please send cover letter, cv, and a list of references to The Irish American Heritage Museum at 370 Broadway Albany, NY 12207, or to firstname.lastname@example.org.